This post contains affiliate links.
Coconut Oil – The Healthiest Oil On Earth You Can Consume
Coconut oil is truly the healthiest oil you can consume. There are over 1,500 studies proving coconut oil to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet.
It is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal, and contains no trans fat. Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) that increase metabolism and can promote weight loss.
Whenever coconut oil is mentioned, most people immediately think of saturated fat and therefore assume it must be bad.
It is true that coconut oil is primarily a saturated fat. What people don’t realize, however, is that there are many different types of saturated fat and all of them affect the body differently.
The type of saturated fat found in coconut oil, a plant source, is different from the type found in animal products. The difference is dramatic and is fully documented by years of scientific research.
Contrary to what is generally believed, the saturated fats found in coconut oil are actually good for you.
This should not be surprising, because if coconut oil were unhealthy it would have been evidenced in populations who have used it for generations. In fact, just the opposite is the case. Those populations who use coconut oil demonstrate a remarkable level of good health.
Did you know that multiple studies on Pacific Island populations, who get 30-60% of their total caloric intact from fully saturated coconut oil, have all shown nearly non-existent rates of cardiovascular disease?
When these people start eating the saturated oil and fats that Americans do, they have weight and chronic disease problems just like us.
COCONUT OIL HEALTH BENEFITS
Coconut has been used as both a food and a medicine for centuries in many cultures throughout the world.
For several decades coconut oil has been used in hospital IV solutions to feed critically ill patients.
Coconut oil is a major component of baby formula because it provides many of the same nutrients as human breast milk.
Research and clinical observation have shown that medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) found in coconut oil may help prevent and treat a wide range of diseases.
Coconut oil can help:
- prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis and stroke. Numerous studies have clearly demonstrated that coconut oil has a neutral effect on cholesterol levels and does not collect in the arteries. It possesses anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, all of which protect arteries from atherosclerosis and from heart disease.
- prevent diabetes and relive the symptoms and health risks associated with the disease
- support the development of strong bones and teeth
- protect against osteoporosis
- promote loss of excess weight
- protect the body from cancer
- protect against Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, autism and other neurological disorders
- protect against kidney disease and bladder infections
- prevent liver disease
- kill viruses that cause influenza, hepatitis C, measles, herpes, AIDS and other illnesses
What an amazing health food! No other food, no other oil comes close to matching what coconut oil can do.
Watch video with Bruce Fife, C.N.,N.D.
Coconut oil have some secret ingredient not found in other saturated fats. This secret ingredient is lauric acid. Coconut oil is composed of 50 percent lauric acid. By far the best and richest natural sources of lauric acid are coconuts and coconut oil.
For instance, 1 tablespoon of dried shredded coconut contains about 2 grams of lauric acid. A tablespoon of pure coconut oil contains 7 grams.
You can begin enjoying the benefits of coconut without making any drastic changes in your normal way of living. In fact, incorporating coconut into your life can be done with just three simple steps:
- Use coconut oil in your cooking and get rid of all other vegetable oils in your diet.
- Eat coconut and coconut products as a regular part of your diet.
- Apply coconut oil directly to your skin and hair in order to absorb its healing benefits directly into your body.
HOW MUCH COCONUT OIL DO YOU NEED TO GET THE BENEFITS?
Doses can vary from person to person. The basic amounts have been derived from the amount of MCFAs found in human breast milk. The MCFAs are known to provide protection and nourishment for infants. From this information the estimate for adults has been made.
The following contain about the same amount of MCFAs:
- 3.5 tablespoons of coconut oil (50 grams)
- 150 grams fresh coconut meat (from about half a coconut)
- 1 cup (80 grams) dried, shredded coconut
- 10 oz. of real coconut milk (not in the milk cartons that are full of questionable ingredients)
COCONUT OIL IN YOUR KITCHEN
Coconut oil, being a highly saturated fat, is the least vulnerable of all the dietary oils to oxidation and free-radical formation and therefore is the safest to use in cooking.
Replacing the liquid vegetable oils you are now using with coconut oil can help eliminate the many health problems caused by consuming oxidized oils. It may be one of the healthiest decisions you could ever make.
Coconut oil has a relatively high percentage of heat-stable saturated fat. The saturated fat also gives it an extended shelf life. While polyunsaturated vegetable oils are already going rancid in the store before you even buy them, coconut oil can remain good for one to three years.
Of course, the quality and shelf life of the oils depends on the care and processing methods used by the manufacturer. Some poor quality oils may go rancid in just a few months. So it is wise to check out different brands. I use two brands of coconut oils: Wilderness Family Naturals and Naked Coconuts.
Coconut oil melts at about 24 degrees Celsius or 76 degrees Fahrenheit, becoming a clear liquid that looks like almost any other vegetable oil. Below this temperature, it solidifies and takes on a creamy white appearance. At moderate room temperatures it has a soft buttery texture and is sometimes called coconut butter. Don’t keep it in your refrigerator.
If you can, use only coconut oil for all of your needs and you will be glad that you did.
- Natural Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Recipe
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar