Here’s a simple homemade recipe for elderberry syrup, you can make at home. Elderberry syrup is a popular natural remedy used to help alleviate symptoms of the common cold.
Elderberries (Sambucus nigra L.) derived from the elder tree, have long been recognized for their numerous health benefits due to their high antioxidant and vitamin C content.
Elderberry syrup is made from elderberries, honey, ginger, and various spices. You can make it yourself or buy organic elderberry syrup online.
MY LATEST VIDEO
Elderberry Syrup Homemade Recipe
2 cups dried elderberries
6 cups water
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup honey (or more, to taste)
1. In a large pot, combine the elderberries and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about an hour, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
2. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean container, pressing on the berries to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids.
3. Return the strained elderberry juice to the pot and add ginger, cloves, and cinnamon. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
5. Stir in honey until completely dissolved.
6. Allow the syrup to cool completely before transferring it to a clean bottle or jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
7. Take 1 tablespoon of elderberry syrup daily as a preventative measure, or increase the dose to 1-2 tablespoons when you start feeling cold symptoms. You can also give it to children over the age of 1 year.
The information here is provided for informational purposes only. It is not presented with the intention of diagnosing or treating any disease or condition. It is in no way intended to substitute for the advice provided by your doctor or other health care professional. No responsibility is assumed by the author for the use of this information and no guarantees of any kind are made for the performance or effectiveness of the recommendations provide. By using this site you agree to these terms. (Read more)
- Elderberries Numerous Health Benefits
- How To Make Essential Oil Perfume